11.22.2008

The holidays cometh




Some people dread the coming of the holiday season, equating it with stress and ubiquitous poppy music. However, it is something I have always looked forward to. Perhaps it's because I have never had the stress of hosting a large Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, or because I generally take a low-key approach to gift buying.


Whatever the reason, this year is exceptionally fun as I am participating in my first-ever craft fair. I've decided to start small with a local event that features low-cost items for kids' holiday shopping. Admittedly it has been a great excuse to get the holidays off to an early start. With some classic Christmas chunes and hot chocolate, I am off and running with crafting for the event!

So far I have fashioned two main items. 1) a decidedly over-the-top glam starfish ornament- and 2) some festive holiday letter magnets. The starfish idea came to me when I had a bunch of leftover from my first run of etsy items. I also inadvertently tortured a starfish at Sea World when I was seven, so maybe this is my way of apologizing to the species. The letter magnets? Well, there is a box of leftover tile samples in my closet, and this seemed to be the perfect use for them. I love the font on the letters-- part 1940s Christmas Story-era, part modern.


What are you working on for upcoming holiday projects? What is your inspiration for holiday creating?

No comments: